- 1 Understanding Travel Document Numbers
- 1.0.1 What is a Travel Document Number?
- 1.0.2 Importance of Travel Document Number
- 1.0.3 Is there a specific format for a travel document number?
- 1.0.4 Different types of travel documents and the location of their numbers in these documents:
- 1.0.5 Types of travel documents issued by USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services):
- 1.0.6 What are the different forms involved when you are seeking an extension or change of status for a non-immigrant visa?
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Understanding Travel Document Numbers
What is a Travel Document Number?
Travel Document Number is a special group of numbers and letters mentioned on travel record like US Passport, Passport card, and other documentation and is assigned to them to enable the authorities and allow them to identify an individual while traveling internationally. It is an important piece of information that an international excursionist needs to keep near at hand when traveling overseas or long distances.
Importance of Travel Document Number
There are several uses of travel documents and their numbers. It can act as a identification proof when someone is traveling to different countries. In such cases, people require the ability to identify themselves in a foreign land. and whether the person is eligible to travel overseas. Having a travel document number gives them unfettered visa-free access to travel to certain countries that do not require a visa.
Its not over yet
Last, but not least, a Travel document number is used to identify the document itself. The number is because of this reason as even if it is meant to identify you when you are from a different country, it is also a record of the trip itself. It is a useful way for you to get out of any trouble if you happen to lose your documentation. A useful tip would be to keep a record of your travel document number on your person in your mind. You can also make a copy of your document for easier access.
It is important to keep your Travel documents safe, but in case you lose your document, you need to report it to the US Department of State or US Embassy depending on the type of the document. The department of travel recommends that you keep something called a “Traveller’s Checklist”. A list of items and precautions that you need to keep in your luggage and mind respectively.
Is there a specific format for a travel document number?
The format of the travel document number depends on what type of document it is, for example, the number on the passport has a different format than that of the one on Visa. The header below covers more details on this.
Different types of travel documents and the location of their numbers in these documents:
Travel documents can be of different types and the document numbers are located in different places and format depending on what kind of document it is :
- US Passport Book: This is the most common and one of the many forms of corroboration you have to possess as a person when traveling abroad. It has a 9-digit number that is used to identify yourself and it is located on the main page or the second page in the passport. You have the page where you have your photo and information. It is usually located under the title “Passport no.”. It is also present on the ‘machine-readable zone’ or MRZ at the bottom of the same page. This passport document number is also known as ‘Inventory Control Number’ or ‘Passport book number’. The average processing time for a passport book is 6-8 weeks.
- US Passport Card: A document that is unique among travel document numbers, in that not many countries issue it, This card is used for land travel or entry through seaports from the United States to Mexico or to Canada and few other nearby Caribbean territories. The document number on the passport card is located in the right-hand hand corner on top of the front side of the card. The processing time for a passport card is 6-8 weeks.
- US Visa: Visas are a necessary form of documentation when you want to visit another country. The ‘ Visa Foil Number’ as it is known otherwise, this particular number is a random series of numbers and letters that appear in the color red. The Numbers almost always appear on the bottom right-hand corner of the visa. It is usually a set of 8 digits or one alphabet followed by 7 random digits. The location and the color of the number remain the same for both immigrant and non-immigrant visas. US visas need 5-7 weeks for processing.
- Green card: The Green card is issued by the USCIS to immigrants and family members of current green card holders who have become permanent residents of the US. The receipt number or the case number is the document number. It is a set of 10 digit alphanumeric numbers starting from the center of the card on its back. It starts with 3 alphabets followed by numbers. Green cards need a processing time of 7-10 months.
Types of travel documents issued by USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services):
- Advance Parole: This particular declaration is used to return to the US without a visa. It can often be substituted with the US visa. If you are currently a non-US National and a resident of the US and need to come back to the US, you can use this document to show the means of your transport like your company or the airlines as proof of eligibility to travel. This document can be used if your visa application status is pending. There is a drawback to this though, this document does not guarantee you re-entry into the country. It takes about 120 days to receive the Advance Parole document.
- Refugee travel documents: This document is issued by the USCIS, and is only done so to people who are refugees from different countries or have been granted asylum status. It is equivalent to a United States Passport. The residents of the US who have obtained their Green Card because of this very status may opt for this specific form of documentation. However, you will require a visa when you want to travel to other countries.
- Re-Entry Permit: A re-entry permit (Form 1-137) is paperwork that allows citizen of the US to re-enter the country when they haven’t come back to the country for longer than a year. This document can be used by individuals as an alternative to their resident visas. It takes about 90 days to seven months to receive this permit. This decision remains at the discretion of the USCIS
- Carrier Documentation: A carrier document is issued by the USCIS as a permission slip for an airline or other transportation in case residents of the US whose Green Cards and/or other re-entry permit documents are damaged or have been ceased unlawfully.
To apply for a re-entry permit, refugee travel document, or advance parole travel document, including parole into the U.S. for humanitarian reasons Click on this link for Form I -131
What are the different forms involved when you are seeking an extension or change of status for a non-immigrant visa?
The rules in the United States for immigration are very strict. You need to know all the rules and regulations when applying for the extension of the non-immigrant visa. You need to make sure that there is no violation of the terms and conditions of your visa. Few important things related to this are mentioned below :
- I-94 : I-94 is a number that appears on a white card put into the passports of non-immigrant visa holders. This is done by the Authorities at the US border, or an immigration point or entry point at the airport.
In most cases when you are visiting the US, you will have to fill in the travel document number. It also make sense that the document you use is the one one that you used when you last arrived in the states. While filling in the i-94 form, it is prudent to keep your travel document numbers handy.
- I-539: This is an application to extend or change the immigration status. Especially for those who wish to apply for US Citizenship and do not have a visa. It requires sponsorship provided directly by the employer.
The I-539 form is divided into specific categories that require you to provide information with complete truthfulness. You will need to provide information like your complete personal details and application type. Your physical address in the US, processing information, public benefits, applicant’s certification, interpreter information, and more.
- I-130 form: This form, also known as the “Petition for Alien Relative” is slightly different from most other travel documentation. This form will validate the relationship between a US Citizen or a Green Card Holder. It will also take care of an individual who wishes to apply for a green card.
- The type of visa holders who can apply for an extension are A, A3, B1, B2, CW2, L2, M1, M, F1, G, G5, H4, K3, NATO 7, O3, P4, R2, TD, T, U, and V.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
A travel document number is the unique identification number that is mentioned on the documents like Passport Book, Passport Card, Visa and Green Card.
Yes, different travel documents have different numbers.
A passport is one type of travel document. The number on the passport is the travel document number for the passport.
1. New passport Book: USD 145
2. Passport card: USD 65
3. Visa: depending on the type of visa it is USD 160- USD 265
4. Green card: The processing fee varies from USD 1225 for an Adult and USD 750 for a child under 13 years.