- 1 Letters of Support
- 1.1 What is a letter of support or an Affidavit of Support?
- 1.2 I-751 Sample Affidavit of Friends Letter :
- 1.3 i-751 form and the benefits attached to this form that the applicant can gain after approval:
Letters of Support
What is a letter of support or an Affidavit of Support?
The ‘letter of support’ or the ‘affidavit of support’, also known is the recommendation given for your relationship and your union by the people you have closely familiar and have been a part of your life for a long time. Those who have attended your wedding or have been around you for years or can give genuine first-hand information. It can be your friends, relatives or family members, and clergy. Here want to let you have a look a sample, the I-751 Sample Affidavit of Friends Letter.
The ‘affidavit of support’ is submitted along with the i-751 affidavit form as supplementary documentation to prove that your union is not a fake. Not just for the purpose of receiving a green card but that it is a authentic, legitimate relationship. This can make your example appear strong and enable a smooth process.
The affidavit or the letter of support is required by the individuals who are on a wedding-based ‘contingent’ green cards and want the condition to be removed by the USCIS to request for a permanent green card.
What is the value placed on this affidavit letter from a friend by immigration officers?
Please remember that the letter of support or affidavit of support cannot be used as proof of your marital relationship. You should also note that that you should not use the I-751 Sample Affidavit of Friends Letter that we have provided here. It is just a supporting document that can facilitate a faster processing time for your application. If it is your spouse, you need to share a sample affidavit of bona fide marriage letter for immigration. Another option would be to share a affidavit of marriage relationship by third party. Your spouse has to provide other concrete additional documents that would prove that you are legally married partners. Documents like common ownership of an apartment or estates, joint lease of an apartment, financial records proving joint ownership, details of the children you have had together have to be presented to the immigration officers in support of your marriage.
What we we include within the Letter?
The various important segments of an affidavit of support letter or a letter of support:
As included in the sample letter below, the different segments that the affidavit letter of support should contain are as follows:
- The name of the person who is writing the letter.
- The address of the person writing the letter.
- The date when the letter is being written.
- USCIS address.
- The subject line states who this letter concerns.
- The body of the letter: This should contain your relationship with the individual(s) you are writing in support of, how long have you known each other, details about how you have met the couple, how they are as an individual, mention if you know something about their family, some facts about the marriage that you know.
- Close the letter with your name, date of birth, and place of birth.
I-751 Sample Affidavit of Friends Letter :
Here’s a sample affidavit of friends letter that can guide you on how to write a letter of support to the USCIS immigration officers:
964 Hewes Avenue
Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
January 10, 2020
xxxx Westchester Ave,
Acbd, NY 10472
Subject: Affidavit of support for Noah and Rachel Peters
This is to confirm that I have known Noah and Rachel for 15 years now. Rachel and I are childhood friends and we pretty much grew up together. Our parents are close family friends too. Rachel moved to a different city when she was 16 years old but we still remained close friends. After 5 years she moved back with her parents to where I live and she met Noah at a mutual friend’s party. They had become good friends since then. She introduced him to me and my family as well.
Noah and Rachel started their relationship as friends and gradually grew fond of each other. I have spoken with Noah on several occasions and he is a gentleman. They decided to get married 2 years back and Rachel moved to Noah’s house after their wedding. They make a great couple and have several future commitments together. I hope that their relationship grows in life and lasts a lifetime.
All the above information and facts that I have provided is true to my knowledge and best interest.
Date of Birth: 20/12/ 1990
Place of Birth: Bronx, NY
If you are looking for samples of other affidavits, Please click on the links below and read through them.
i-751 form and the benefits attached to this form that the applicant can gain after approval:
The i-751 form is issued by the USCIS to the individual who wants to file ‘Petition to Remove Conditions’. This applies to the marriage-based green card whose initial validity is only for two years. Shortly before the completion of the two years, the applicant needs to extend the green card from two years to a permanent green card whose validity is for 10 years. This is jointly done along with your spouse by filing an i-751( along with sample affidavit of friends letter, placing a request to the immigration officers) to remove the ‘conditions on permanent residence’.
However, this regular requirement of jointly filing the i-751 affidavit form along with your spouse is not applicable (waived off) if you and your child are the victims of an abusive spouse. You can file the petition alone and your petition will be considered by the USCIS in such scenarios. Also if you choose to get a divorce, this will not affect your petition to remove conditions on permanent residence. You just need to provide evidence that your marriage was a bona fide.
A deeper look into the Benefits of I-751
There are several benefits that you are entitled to after your i-751 has been approved are:
- You can seek United States Citizenship or naturalization.
- Live and work in the US for an indefinite period of time.
- You will be entitled to the social security benefits like retirement and disability benefits and more after you have accumulated 40 credits.
- Travel to and from the United States as many times as you want without any restrictions.
- You can apply for any government-sponsored financial benefits.
- Apply for any kind of job including the jobs that are of national interest and require security clearances.
- You can start your own business in the US and create jobs for the country.
- You are eligible to support your spouse and children to help them obtain a permanent residence based on your green card.
- If you are a lawful permanent resident, you will be able to obtain mortgages and loans easily and buy properties.
- You can obtain a professional license with the help of your green card.
- You can be a part of the political affairs in the country by participating in various campaigns.
What does i-864 form entail and what information does the i-864 form provide to immigration officers about the applicant?
I-864 is an affidavit of support document filled and signed by the sponsor who agrees to supply the monetary requirements to the individual who is applying to become the legitimate citizen of the United States. By filling this brief, the sponsor indicates that he is ready to take the complete financial responsibility of the intended applicants, that is if they are unable to support themselves at any point in time.
You will need to submit a few supporting documents along with i-864 like your financial statements, equally important are your tax return documents, evidence to prove that you meet the poverty guidelines, pay stub for the last 6 months, etc. Please go through this link for more details on the additional supportive documentation you may need during this process.
An affidavit of support or a letter of support does not act as proof that the marriage is legit. This is a supporting document which if additionally provided will make the process of the i-751 affidavit application stronger and faster. You will need to provide other strong evidence to prove that your marriage is a legitimate one.
Your family members, close relatives, and friends who have first-hand information about your marriage can provide the letter of support.
This letter is submitted to the USCIS addressing the USCIS officer.
The i-864 is filed by the individual or sponsor who is willing to take up the financial responsibility of the applicant who intends to immigrate to the US. In order for the petitioner to become a sponsor, his income should meet the requirements of the poverty guidelines.
The i-751 waiver is applicable when you are the victim of an abusive spouse. You can apply for the i-751 alone not needing to meet the regular requirements.